Protestant collegiate church

The towering late-Gothic collegiate church, a Protestant municipal parish church and highly important dynastic burial site, opened daily for prayer and visitors, probably has Romanesque foundations: first mentioned in 1264, indulgence document for a Wertheim St. Mary's church in 1295; above the north-east door coat-of-arms in stone for the new construction in 1384; collegiate since 1481. (for more details – including full details of the counts – see the church guide, which has many pictures.)

 

Since 1419, a chapter of canons has held daily hourly prayers and requiems at St. Mary's. After 1547, its assets were used for charitable, school and parish purposes. The choir was created from 1388 according to the inscription on the annex on the left (1445); for the upper floor of the annex with its flat star-ribbed vault, the scholar Konrad Wellin donated 63 books in 1448 as the basis for the library. In the south of the vestry with upper chapel, before 1427. A sun dial on the side-nave. Its tracery, perfect in its form, interacts with the splendid "Chörle" next to it at the tower, consisting almost entirely of windows, pinnacles and grotesques: donated in 1419 by Heinrich von Mömlingen (+1430).

 

The change in the regal Medieval picture of Mary to a loving mother is shown in the "Wertheim Madonna" around 1325 – on the interior at the steps to the Holy Spirit chapel (originally on the exterior above the coat-of-arms in stone dated 1384, now with replica). The prayer room includes an altar mensa and frescoes of the "Triple Goddesses" from the construction era. century, height with helmet approx. 51 cm, the clock of 1544 is in St. Kilian's chapel today). When you enter the flat-ceilinged interior of the church with its neo-Gothic empores and chancellery (1846/47), you are surprised by the unique accumulation of works of art; there are often venerating "monuments" to the grave slabs, particularly in the choir.

 

Beforehand, the organ of 1982 (made by the company Rensch in Lauffen) should be mentioned; the early Baroque baptismal font (cf. Rittergasse, p. 30) as should the impressive crucifix of 1682 in the choir arch above the modern altar table. During the extensive renovation from 2005 to 2007, late-Gothic frescoes were found in the northern side-nave and the tendril painting of 1880/90 reconstructed in the choir vault.

back to overview
  • deutsch
  • english